Thursday, April 14, 2016
It can be hard to think straight after getting in an accident. Use this checklist to make sure you get all the information you’ll need to make filing an insurance claim quick and easy.
From any drivers involved in the accident:
- Contact Information (phone number, email address)
- Insurance Information (carrier name and policy number)
- License plate number
- Vehicle make, model, year, color
- VIN Number
- If the name on the vehicle registration is different from the driver, write down the relationship.
Be sure to take Photos of:
- Damage to your vehicle
- Damage of vehicles involved
- Location of the accident
- Damage to any property or objects at the scene
From the police:
- Name of any officers on the scene
- Badge or ID number
- Phone Number
- Police Report Number
- Name of Police Department
Details about what happened:
- Date and time
- A detailed description of what happened, including weather and related conditions, any injuries, what the police did, any comments the other driver made (if they said they weren’t hurt, made any excuses, or admitted blame in any way).
- Write down your personal account of the accident as soon as you can. Memories tend to fade over time and having a written account from the same day of the accident will help you when you need to recall details weeks later.
Note: Be careful not to provide any personal information that can lead to identity theft. Neither the driver nor the police will need your Social Security number. The only reason you should provide your address, phone number, or driver’s license number is if you don’t provide ownership and insurance documentation.
Be sure to take down this information after getting in an accident and you will have no issues filing an insurance claim. There are plenty of apps available that will walk you through what information you need to obtain, or you can print out this handy accident checklist from the NAIC to keep in your glove box at all times. And for more information about what to do after getting in an accident, check out our blog post.